Weed Abatement Schedule
The Weed Abatement Program runs from February through July, but fire season is year-round. Please keep your property free of combustible debris and overgrown, unkept weeds and grasses. Please contact your Weed Abatement Coordinator to report fire hazards at (909) 931-4134.
NOTE: the below dates will be updated once the program is approved by City Council.
Upland Municipal Code Chapter 8.12.180 entitled “Weed and Rubbish Abatement-Alternative procedures” and Article 2 of Division 3 of Title 4 of the California Government Code, Section 39560, et seq. (the “Government Code”), authorizes the City to abate and cause removal of weeds and rubbish from any property within the City. The process that the City follows is contained in the Government Code. Once the City Council approves the Resolution, the inspections of all parcels throughout the City will proceed on February 27, 2024. Staff has revised the process to give property owners whose properties have been identified with weeds and/or rubbish, a 15-day period to abate the nuisance before incurring fines. Below is a list of important dates to remember:
February 13, 2024: Initial Announcement is included in the City of Upland’s water bill, e-mailed to those who do not receive a mailed water bill and mailed to all vacant property owners.
- February 27, 2024: First round of weed abatement inspections to begin on parcels located within the city limits.
- April 1, 2024: Courtesy Notices to Comply will be mailed this week to property owners whose parcels are not in compliance with the City’s Municipal Code.
- April 22, 2024: Second round of weed abatement inspections of parcels who received a Courtesy Notice to Comply will begin.
- May 13, 2024: Property owners whose parcels remain in violation with the City’s Municipal Code will be issued Notices to Comply and given 15 days from the 2nd Notice to Comply to bring their properties into compliance. An administrative fee will be assessed against the property in violation of the City’s Municipal Code.
- May 30, 2024: Third round of weed abatement inspections will begin on properties that were issued a Notice to Comply. An additional administrative fee will be assessed against the property.
- June 10, 2024: A list of non-compliant properties will be posted on the City of Upland website and at City Hall.
- June 24, 2024: City Council Meeting to declare non-compliant properties a hazard and order that the city abate nuisance/hazard conditions with costs being placed as a special tax assessment. Property owners wishing to contest the weed abatement actions must attend the June 24, 2024, City Council Meeting and submit a public comment card.
- June 25, 2024: Required abatements of non-compliant properties begins. Cost to abate property, fines and fees will be charged against the property as a special assessment.
- July 22, 2024: City Council Meeting to approve submittal of all Weed Abatement invoices to the San Bernardino County Tax Collector.