Many kinds of emergencies can cause you to have to evacuate. In some cases, you may have a day or two to prepare while other situations might call for an immediate evacuation. Planning is vital to making sure that you can evacuate quickly and safely no matter what the circumstances. Here are a few tips:
Learn the types of disasters that are likely in your community and the local emergency, evacuation and shelter plans for each specific disaster.
Build a Kit
A disaster supplies kit is a collection of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency.
Be Financially Prepared
- Gather financial and critical personal, household and medical information.
- Consider saving money in an emergency savings account that could be used in any crisis.
Get Tech Ready
- Make sure you keep extra electronic chargers in your emergency kit
- Download the FEMA app
- Make sure you follow the cities social media pages for real time updates
- Use text messaging and social media to connect with family, phone lines may be jammed.
- Register with American Red Cross’ Safe & Well site to let family and friends know you’re okay.
- Store electronic copies of important documents on a thumb drive or the cloud.