Building and Safety

Building and Safety FAQs

How do I schedule an inspection?

Please call (909) 931-4129 to schedule an inspection.  Requests MUST be received prior to 4:00 p.m. for next day inspection.  Inspections are performed Monday through Thursday.

Does my neighbor have a permit for construction work they are performing?

You may contact the Building Division at (909) 931-4110 with any questions in this regard.  Building permits can be researched by address.

How early am I allowed to begin work on my construction project? 

Construction is permitted weekdays, from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Do I need a permit to build a fence?

Permits are not required for fences 6’ or less or for block walls 2’ or less.

How can I review copies of plans and/or permits? Can I have copies?

The City can retrieve available permit records for review at the Building division counter.  Staff can assist you in the process and cost for arranging for copies of documents to be made.

How do I know if I need a building permit?

The city Website under Building permits has a guide that lists projects that “do not” require a building permit.  Click here for the list.

How do I obtain a building permit?

The Building Division’s Public Counter and City Website have guidelines of the requirements for plan submittal.  Questions can be addressed by staff during regular business Hours, Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by calling at (909) 931-4110.

Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy?

A C of O is required prior to occupying a commercial building or tenant space and prior to starting operations of your business. If you occupy commercial space in the City of Upland, you are required to obtain a C of O. (California Building Code Section 111). Currently, C of O’s are not required for home occupations, salon booth rentals and for businesses that do not occupy any commercial space within the City of Upland.


460 N. Euclid Avenue
Upland, CA 91786
(909) 931-4100

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.